During these hot summer days it is more important then ever to ensure you stay well hydrated. When we don't drink enough water it can result in poor concentration, lethargy and light headedness. Aim for at least 8 glasses a day but remember that your fluid requirement goes up during the summer when you are sweating more and the same applies when you are exercising.
1. Drink 1-2 glasses of water first thing in the morning. You've been asleep for hours, so it's time to hydrate! This can even replace morning coffee, as rehydrating the body and brain will lead to clearer thinking and better energy.
2. If you don't like the taste of water or get bored of drinking it, try adding slices of lemon, lime, cucumber or mint leaves. I grow mint in my herb garden and take some wrapped up in foil to work! It's great in hot or cold water.
3. Drink your favourite flavoured herbal tea, iced! Make a large jug full of tea first thing in the morning and allow in to cool then keep it in the fridge in a jug or flask. Add ice or frozen fruit to serve.
4. Most of us touch or check our phones several time an hour. Each time you do- use it as a reminder to drink some water. Any easy way to develop this as a habit is by thinking of it as TBC:
- Trigger: Checking phone
- Behaviour: Big gulp of water
- Celebrate: Smile to yourself knowing you are doing something positive for your mind and body
Please share any tips you have for drinking more water below.
IF YOU LIKE IT, SHARE IT!